Wilderness Medicine, 6th Edition
By Paul S. Auerbach, MD, MS, FACEP, FAWM
Expert Consult Reference
- Be able to practice emergency medicine outside of the traditional hospital/clinical setting whether you are in remote environments, underdeveloped but highly populated areas, or disaster areas, are part of search and rescue operations, or dealing with casualties from episodes of extreme sports and active lifestyle activities.
- Face any medical challenge in the wilderness with expert guidance: Dr. Auerbach is a noted author and the world's leading authority on wilderness medicine. He is a founder and Past President of the Wilderness Medical Society, consultant to the Divers Alert Network and many other agencies and organizations, and a member of the National Medical Committee for the National Ski Patrol System.
- Handle everything from frostbite to infection by marine microbes, not to mention other diverse injuries, bites, stings, poisonous plant exposures, animal attacks, and natural disasters.
- Grasp the essential aspects of search and rescue.
- Respond quickly and effectively by improvising with available materials.
- Improve your competency and readiness with the latest guidance on volcanic eruptions, extreme sports, splints and slings, wilderness cardiology, living off the land, aerospace medicine, mental health in the wilderness, tactical combat casualty care, and much more.
- Meet the needs and special considerations of specific patient populations such as children, women, elders, persons with chronic medical conditions, and the disabled.
Make smart decisions about gear, navigation, nutrition, and survival.
Animals, Insects, and Zoonoses
47 Protection from Blood-Feeding Arthropods 872
48 Mosquitoes and Mosquito-Borne Diseases 883
49 Malaria 900
50 Arthropod Envenomation and Parasitism 925
51 Tick-Borne Diseases 954
52 Spider Bites 975
53 Scorpion Envenomation 996
54 Bites by Venomous Reptiles in Canada, the United
States, and Mexico 1011
55 Envenoming and Injuries by Venomous and
Nonvenomous Reptiles Worldwide 1040
56 Bites and Injuries Infl icted by Wild and Domestic
57 Bear Behavior and Attacks 1127
58 Alligator and Crocodile Attacks 1139
59 Wilderness-Acquired Zoonoses 1143
60 Rabies 1175
61 Emergency Veterinary Medicine 1198