Advanced Protocols for Animal Transgenesis: An ISTT Manual
By Shirley Pease, Thomas L. Saunders
- Hardcover: 684 pages
- Publisher: ; 2011 edition (August 31, 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 364220791X
- ISBN-13: 978-3642207914
Publication Date: August 31, 2011 | ISBN-10: 364220791X | ISBN-13: 978-3642207914 | Edition: 2011
This laboratory manual, published in cooperation with the International Society for Transgenic Technology (ISTT), provides almost all current methods that can be applied to the creation and analysis of genetically modified animals. The chapters have been contributed by leading scientists who are actively using the technology in their laboratories. Based on their first-hand experience the authors also provide helpful notes and troubleshooting sections. Topics range from standard techniques, such as pronuclear microinjection of DNA, to more sophisticated and modern methods, such as the derivation and establishment of embryonic stem (ES) cell lines, with defined inhibitors in cell culture medium. In addition, related topics with relevance to the field are addressed, including global web-based resources, legal issues, colony management, shipment of mice and embryos, and the three R’s: refinement, reduction and replacement.
Table of Contents
chapters of this ISTT Manual:
- 1 Patent and Licensing Issues in Transgenic Technology.
- 2 Global Resources: Including Gene Trapped ES Cell. Clones – Is Your Gene Already Knocked Out?
- 3 Designing Transgenes for Optimal Expression.
- 4 Gene Targeting Vector Design for Embryonic Stem Cell Modifications.
- 5 Transgenic Production Benchmarks.
- 6 Generation of Transgenic Mice by Pronuclear Microinjection.
- 7 Generation of Transgenic Rats Using Microinjection of Plasmid DNA or Lentiviral Vectors.
- 8 Generation of Transgenic Animals by Use of YACs.
- 9 BAC Transgenes, DNA Purification, and Transgenic Mouse Production.
- 10 Generation of Transgenic Animals with Lentiviral Vectors.
- 11 Vertebrate Transgenesis by Transposition.
- 12 Rat Spermatogonial Stem Cell-Mediated Gene Transfer.
- 13 Mouse Cloning by Nuclear Transfer.
- 14 Gene Targeting in Embryonic Stem Cells.
- 15 The Importance of Mouse ES Cell Line Selection.
- 16 Tetraploid Complementation Assay.
- 17 Combining ES Cells with Embryos.
- 18 Derivation of Murine ES Cell Lines.
- 19 Rat Embryonic Stem Cell Derivation and Propagation.
- 20 Induced Pluripotency: Generation of iPS Cells from Mouse Embryonic Fibroblasts.
- 21 The Preparation and Analysis of DNA for Use in Transgenic Technology.
- 22 Colony Management.
- 23 Cryopreservation.
- 24 Shipment of Mice and Embryos.
- 25 Pathogen-Free Mouse Rederivation by IVF, Natural Mating and Hysterectomy.
- 26 Refinement, Reduction, and Replacement.