Publisher: Global Media
Published on: 01/01/2009
Author: Rakesh Kapoor
The management of the Uses of Ocean space is a central Focus of the field of Marine affairs. Such management seeks, in accordance with some system of politically determined values, which is either explicit or implicit, to increase the Benefits that may be derived from the resource and non-resource uses of the ocean. At the same time, it attempts to minimize detrimental Effects on the ocean Environment and to ameliorate conflict of use situations. In General it tries to provide for a directed Balance among the various uses of ocean space as well as to protect the ocean environment from damage to its long-term viability.
This book provides an examination of the emergence of ocean management concepts and arrangements as a consequence of the interplay and cumulative effect of Scientific and technological advances.
1. Ocean : An Introduction
2. The World's Oceans and their Physical and Geographical Features
3. Changing Perceptions of the Oceans and Their Resources
4. The Indian Oceans Region : Concept and Reality
5. Water, Coastal and Island Resources
6. Technology Strategy in Ocean Management
7. The Integration of Coastal and Sea Use Management
8. International Conferences on the Uses of the Oceans
9. Development of International Principles
10. Ocean Management in India