NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2070 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Urban Aquaculture

SLAVE TO THE RHYTHM

Status
    Work
    Small Animals Practice
    Country
    Belgium
    Total Posts
    Total thanks received
    Thanks for this post
    Small Animals Practice I'm from Belgium

Default Urban Aquaculture

URBAN AQUACULTURE

Edited by B A Costa-Pierce, Department of Fisheries, Animal and Veterinary Science, and Rhode Island Sea Grant College Program, University of Rhode Island, USA, A Desbonnet, Rhode Island Sea Grant College Program, University of Rhode Island, USA, P Edwards, Agricultural and Aquatic Systems Program, Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand, D Baker, New York Sea Grant, Cornell University, USA
    June 2005 / Hardback / 304 Pages / 9780851998299

Fishery products are the world's most important source of animal protein, especially for the poor. Meeting the basic human needs for protein foods in the future will be a difficult challenge, especially as demand for fish has doubled since the 1950s. Realistically we can not expect to catch more food from the sea, so we must now turn to farming the waters, not just hunting them. The new challenge for planners is to accelerate aquaculture development and to plan for new production. As millions of people are moving from rural, inland areas to coastal cities we need to make urban areas not only centres of marketing and distribution, but also of production, particularly using recycled urban wastewater. This book on urban aquaculture includes papers from authors in the USA, Europe and Asia that review these emerging issues from the perspective of both developed and developing countries.

MAIN CONTENTS:

• A Future Urban Ecosystem Incorporating Urban Aquaculture for Wastewater Treatment and Food Production, B Costa-Pierce and A Desbonnet
    • Viewing Urban Aquaculture as an Agroindustry, G Lutz, Louisiana State University, USA

The Evolution of Urban Aquaculture in Asia
    • Opportunities and Constraints to Urban Aquaculture, with a Focus on South and Southeast Asia, D C Little and S W Bunting, University of Stirling, UK
    • Development Status of Prospects for Wastewater-fed Aquaculture in Urban Environments, P Edwards
    • Peri-Urban Aquaculture and Poor Livelihoods in Kolkata, India, S W Bunting, N Kundu and M Mukherjee, Government of West Bengal, India
    • Wastewater-based Urban Aquaculture systems in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, P Van Minh, Asian Institute of Technology, Vietnam, and N De Pauw, Ghent University, Belgium
    • Wastewater Reuse Through Urban Aquaculture in Hanoi, Vietnam: Status and Prospects, V Quy Hoan, Hanoi Agricultural University, Vietnam, and P Edwards

The Evolution of Urban Aquaculture in Europe and North America
    • The Emergence of Urban Aquaculture in Europe, S W Bunting and D C Little
    • Competitive Potential for USA Urban Aquaculture Products, M B Timmons, Cornell University, USA
    • Commercially Feasible Urban Recirculating Aquaculture: Addressing the Marine Sector, Y Zohar, Y Tal, H Schreier, C Steven, J Stubblefield and A Place, University of Maryland, USA
    • Shrimp Culture In Urban, Superintensive Closed Systems, C Browdy, Marine Resources Institute, Charleston, USA, and S Moss, The Oceanic Institute, USA
    • Aquaculture of the Florida Bay Scallop, Argopecten irradians concentricus, in Tampa Bay Florida (USA): An Urban Estuary, N Blake, University of South Florida, USA
    • Four Years of Recirculating Aquaculture In Boston Harbor, USA, C A Goudey and B M Moran, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA

The Progress and Potentials of Urban Aquaculture Education
    • Urban Aquaculture in Brooklyn, New York, USA, M P Schreibman and C B Zarnoch, Brooklyn College, CUNY, USA
    • Growing A Future Crop of Aquaculturists: Creating An Urban Aquaculture Education Program in Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA, J J Roy, The Sound School, New Haven, USA
    • Science in Action: Tools for Teaching Urban Aquaculture Concepts, J A Frederick, Center of Marine Biotechnology, Baltimore, USA
    • Urban Aquaculture: A Necessary Reality, J K Buttner, Salem State College, USA
    • Ecolobelling and Urban Aquaculture, C A Roheim, University of Rhode Island, USA

Synthesis
    • Aquaculture in Future Urban Ecosystems, A Desbonnet and B Costa-Pierce

Hidden contents (Our Amazon affiliate links)
    You must click 'Thank You' before you can see the data contained here. You can purchase this item from Amazon with discount through our amazon affiliate link.
    BUT You DONOT have sufficient rights to see the hidden data contained here.
    Please Register to see contents.
    Last edited by Vetaqua; 16th April 2011 at 03:59 PM.
    My philosophy for communication:
    Always assume the best and friendliest interpretation of my words that you can, I have no reason to be a rude dude at all, except you force me to!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote
    Thanks

Status
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Total Posts
    Total thanks received
    Thanks for this post
    I'm from Bangladesh

Hi, The link is dead. Please repost.
    Thanks

SLAVE TO THE RHYTHM

Status
    Work
    Small Animals Practice
    Country
    Belgium
    Total Posts
    Total thanks received
    Thanks for this post
    Small Animals Practice I'm from Belgium

Reviewed! ...................
    My philosophy for communication:
    Always assume the best and friendliest interpretation of my words that you can, I have no reason to be a rude dude at all, except you force me to!

Thanks

Status
    Work
    Mixed Animals Practice
    Country
    Egypt
    Total Posts
    Total thanks received
    Thanks for this post
    Mixed Animals Practice I'm from Egypt

Default Re: Urban Aquaculture

Please review the link is dead
    Thanks

Golden Member

Status
    Work
    Pre-Veterinary
    Country
    Vietnam
    Total Posts
    Total thanks received
    Thanks for this post
    Pre-Veterinary I'm from Vietnam

Default Re: Urban Aquaculture

• Hardcover: 304 pages
    • Publisher: CABI; First edition (February 6, 2005)
    • Language: English

Hidden contents (Our Amazon affiliate links)
    You must click 'Thank You' before you can see the data contained here. You can purchase this item from Amazon with discount through our amazon affiliate link.
    BUT You DONOT have sufficient rights to see the hidden data contained here.
    Please Register to see contents.
    Thanks