ICES Zooplankton Methodology Manual
byRoger Harris, Peter Wiebe, Jurgen Lenz, Hein-Rune Skjoldal, Mark Huntley
- Pages: 684 pages
- Publisher: -- 1st edition (March 6, 2000)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0123276454
- ISBN-13: 978-0123276452
Zooplankton are the diverse, delicate and often very beautiful, assemblage of animals that drift the waters of the world's oceans. This Manual provides a comprehensive account of modern methods for studying the microscopic animal plankton which form the basis of the food chains supporting all the world's major fisheries.
The International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES) is the oldest intergovernmental organisation in the world concerned with marine and fisheries science. ICES Zooplankton Methodology Manual is authored by experts selected from both members of the ICES Working Group on Zooplankton and other international specialists. The chapters provide up-to-date reviews of methodology, detailing standard protocols and giving practical instruction on how to carry out measurements and procedures.
Key features and content:
* Sampling and experimental design
* Collecting zooplankton
* Techniques for assessing biomass and abundance
* Protozooplankton enumeration and biomass estimation
* New optical and acoustic techniques for estimating zooplankton biomass and abundance
* Methods for measuring zooplankton feeding, growth, reproduction and metabolism
* Population genetic analysis of zooplankton
* Modelling zooplankton dynamics
This unique and comprehensive reference work will be essential reading for marine and freshwater research scientists and graduates entering the field.