Large Animal Clinical Procedures for Veterinary Technicians 3rd Edition
by Kristin J. Holtgrew-Bohling BS AAS LVT RLATG
- Pages: 704 pages
- Edition: 3 edition (October 13, 2015)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0323341136
- ISBN-13: 978-0323341134
Master the role of the veterinary technician in large animal care! Large Animal Clinical Procedures for Veterinary Technicians, 3rd Edition helps you learn to set up, assist, and follow through on medical procedures and treatment regimens for domestic large animals. A comprehensive guide, this book not only defines the veterinary technicianís responsibilities in daily livestock care and hospital management, but includes separate sections on horses, cattle, sheep and goats, pigs, and llamas and alpacas, covering husbandry, clinical procedures, surgical procedures, and common diseases for each. This edition adds new chapters on livestock nutrition and diagnostic imaging. Written by noted veterinary technician educator Kristin Holtgrew-Bohling, this book is useful in preparing for certification exams and everyday practice.
- A practical approach makes this text useful in classes and in clinical situations, so veterinary technicians, acting under instructions of veterinarians, can plan and follow through on procedures and treatment regimens for large animals.
- A focus on the veterinary technicianís responsibilities explains why and how a procedure is performed, and the roles that you fill in preparing for, assisting in, and following up the procedure.
- Full-color photographs and line drawings show step-by-step procedures in areas such as restraint, bandaging, physical examination techniques, and diagnostic procedures.
- Coverage of the essential large animal-related tasks in the CVTEA Manual of Accreditation for Veterinary Technology Programsprepares you to pass the Veterinary Technology National Exam.
- Coverage of husbandry and breeds demonstrates how day-to-day housing and feeding affect the care of many large animal diseases, and also helps you provide quality client education.
- A section on the livestock industry provides comprehensive coverage of safety and handling, reproduction, and nutrition, so you can better understand the practices, procedures, and decisions in large animal veterinary medicine.
- A section on llamas and alpacas helps you understand the health and maintenance of these increasingly popular domestic animals ― in the U.S., there are more than 12,000 alpaca herds and 25,000 llama owners.
- Proper medical terminology is included in a comprehensive glossary, helping you communicate effectively with clients and with other professionals.
- Learning features enhance critical thinking and decision making with case studies, clinical applications, key terms, chapter outlines, learning objectives, and Technician Notes.
- NEW livestock Nutrition and Diagnostic Imaging chapters provide a basic understanding of these subjects so you can perform history taking, correctly calculate rations for large animals, and fulfill your role in large animal diagnostic imaging.
- NEW Appendix of Vitals and Terminology provides a quick, at-a-glance reference for critical information.
- NEW! Supplemental chapters on the Evolve companion website cover the husbandry, clinical procedures, surgical procedures, and common diseases of poultry.