Herpetology An Introductory Biology of Amphibians and Reptiles
by Laurie J. Vitt
Edition: 1st., 2001
Herpetology, Second Edition has been thoroughly revised. The text has been reorganized, new chapters have been added, new text references have been inserted. All this plus new color systematics sections will maintain this book as THE leading textbook on the biology of amphibians and reptiles. The book will also showcase reptiles and amphibians as model systems in conceptual areas of biology. Such a text will help integrate herpetology as a discipline into conceptually oriented undergraduate programs. The book should also appeal to a large audience of sophisticated lay people interested in reptiles and amphibians.
* Written by internationally recognized experts on the biology of amphibians and reptiles
* Provides a general background on the evolution and morphology of amphibians and reptiles
* Details what is known about reproduction and life histories
* Examines physiological ecology, emphasizing water balance, temperature, and energy
* Integrates population and community ecology with conservation biology
* Provides detailed taxonomic accounts of all higher taxa, including high quality distribution maps and color photographs.