NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2472 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Where There Is No Doctor: A Village Health Care Handbook

Silver Member

Status
    Work
    Mixed Animals Practice
    Country
    Pakistan
    Total Posts
    Total thanks received
    Thanks for this post
    Mixed Animals Practice I'm from Pakistan

Thumbs up Where There Is No Doctor: A Village Health Care Handbook

Author: David Werner

Language: English

When we visit my wife's village in Ghana, this is almost the first thing that we pack. Anyone travelling to the less developed parts of the world should take a copy - and leave it there with someone who can use it. This is probably the most widely used medical reference book in the world - it has been translated into 80 languages. Its simple language, clear explanations and illustrations make essential medical knowledge accessible to anyone with basic literacy. The diagnostic charts are very straightforward and make it easy for a lay person to distinguish between diseases which can be easily confused. The treatments described are completely appropriate for village conditions. There is considerable emphasis on preventative health care and on health education. Anyone familiar with village life in underdeveloped countries will acknowledge that this book is an extraordinary achievement. For those who complain that it is not relevant to the United States: the book was written for "those who live far from medical centers, in places where there is doctor". However there is plenty of information which *is relevant* to a North American audience, particularly the section on nutrition. Anyone backpacking or camping in the more remote regions of the US would benefit from taking this a long.

I consider Where There Is No Doctor my health bible. I carry it with me on every trip I take, and refer to it often. The information provided in this book is simple, straight forward, and easy to read. I would highly recommend that any person planning to serve overseas have a personal copy for reference.

Home health care manuals are a dime a dozen, but this one is in a league by itself... This amazing manual...successfully brings together modern concepts of public health and personal health care into a usable and understandable format for the Third World villager. If you are a physician, dentist or nurse planning to volunteer on a medical mercy mission, review this book ahead of time and take it with you.

Hidden contents (Our Amazon affiliate links)
    You must click 'Thank You' before you can see the data contained here. You can purchase this item from Amazon with discount through our amazon affiliate link.
    BUT You DONOT have sufficient rights to see the hidden data contained here.
    Please Register to see contents.
    Hidden contents (Our Amazon affiliate links)
    You must click 'Thank You' before you can see the data contained here. You can purchase this item from Amazon with discount through our amazon affiliate link.
    BUT You DONOT have sufficient rights to see the hidden data contained here.
    Please Register to see contents.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote
    Thanks

Status
    Work
    Pre-Veterinary
    Country
    Europe
    Total Posts
    Total thanks received
    Thanks for this post
    Pre-Veterinary I'm from Europe