NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3171 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Strict Rules for Article- and Journal-Requests

SLAVE TO THE RHYTHM

Status
    Work
    Veterinarian - Small Animal
    Country
    Belgium
    Total Posts
    Total thanks received
    Thanks for this post
    Veterinarian - Small Animal I'm from Belgium

Default Strict Rules for Article- and Journal-Requests

If you need help in getting certain papers for your research, you are right here and our community is for supporting each other!
    But for making request strict rules are necessary, so that we can keep a certain standard!
    It is the requestors duty to give the following informations or otherwise his request will get deleted and after several cases he will get excluded from this opportunity!

Basic Commandments:

1. The Requestor must give all necessary informations to identify the requested Paper in any way possible and to find it directly linking to the corresponding provider!
    2. The "Direct Provider" is the the site where the particular paper can be downloaded by anyone who owns certain subscriptions (e.g.: Sciencedirect, Wiley-Online etc., NO Pubmed or other simple Data-Providers)!
    3. The Request must follow our Template!
    4. If some necessary Informations are not availalble or no link can be provided, because the paper is generally not available online (e.g. it needs to be scanned manually etc.), then an explanation to inform all supporters must be given!
    5. You must not cause any avoidable work for Supporters (It is all the Requestors Duty!)

Or Template:

Name of the Author (all Names or the first one plus et al.)
    Title of the Publication
    Name of the Journal
    Volume, Issue und Pages-Information
    DOI (if available)
    Direct Link to the Provider

A general Example how to Request:

Iris Knaus, Sabine Breit, Wolfgang Kunzel, (at least first author)
    APPEARANCE OF THE SACROILIAC JOINT IN VENTRODORSAL RADIOGRAPHS OF THE NORMAL CANINE PELVIS
    Veterinary Radiology & Ultrasound
    Volume 44 Issue 2, Pages 148 - 154
    DOI: 10.1111/j.1740-8261.2003.tb01263.x
    http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/....

A Bad Request (even if all necessary Informations are given!):

Volume 29, Issue 5, October 1994, Pages: 427–432, W. A. Cerbito, Jr F. V. Quero, Jr C. R. Balagapo, J. F. Torres, J. Braun, K. Miyazawa and K. Sato

link
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...589.x/abstract
    All Moderators in charge are requested to delete instantly all Requests that are not following these rules, all Requestors not following will get Infractions and consequently further banning!
    If any Bad Request not following these rules was not recognized before being solved by any other members, then Moderators are requested to call on the original Requestor to complete ALL necessary Informations subsequently and instantly or giving an Infraction, if he finally denies he will be banned!

All Supporters must provide the requested Paper via PM directly to the Requestor and finishes the Thread with a posting containing "SOLVED"!

If any other Members wants to have the same article, then he can request it via PM directly from the first Requestor and it is his duty to support other members like he was supported too! Or he adds a particular posting for it if the request was not solved before.
    If any original requestors will not support others in consequence intentionally, then tell any Moderator in charge for persecuting a probable violation of our basic rule of reciprocal support. But beware of false charges or you will be persecuted! Always be patient in requesting anything!
    In case of technical problems of any kind Staff will support all of you!

We are here to support each other, but we are also asked to be Professionalists and therefore we need a certain standard, which too many lazy or dumb people always try to undermine!

Keep an eye on these Rules for probable Reviews!
    Last edited by Vetaqua; 26th March 2012 at 02:44 PM.
    My philosophy for communication:
    Always assume the best and friendliest interpretation of my words that you can, I have no reason to be a rude dude at all, except you force me to!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Who Said Thanks:

trunghieu1985 (26th March 2012)

SLAVE TO THE RHYTHM

Status
    Work
    Country
    Belgium
    Total Posts
    Total thanks received
    Thanks for this post

Default Re: Strict Rules for Article- and Journal-Requests

Quote Originally Posted by trunghieu1985 View Post
    suggestion: do we need to limit the number of requested articles/request/day?
    Looking back at how it has been yet I donīt think so, if someone requests too much he will find out that probably nobody wants to serve him or serves all requests....

But let us reconsider this after we had some particular cases. Generally a good question to keep an eye on.

If someone really needs certain papers then it cannot be a question of the amount, but of course all Requestors should be also modest next to patient generally.
    And the more he really concentrates on really important ones the better chances he has to finally get them.
    Always assume the best and friendliest interpretation of my words that you can, I have no reason to be a rude dude at all, except you force me to!

SLAVE TO THE RHYTHM

Status
    Work
    Country
    Belgium
    Total Posts
    Total thanks received
    Thanks for this post

Quote Originally Posted by alizohaib7 View Post
    My suggestion is that It would be better to write Publication title 1st then the authors name (I think so it will be more attractive )
    Actually it does not matter what comes first as long as all parts are included.

But all Requestors should beware of making "Bad Requests" being much farer away from the template!

If it contains all important informations with a good make-up then everything is fine.
    And in case of doubt what "good" means better stick strictly to the template.

If it is just copied from anywhere else and pastet without any profession format...then the requestors takes a risk!

SLAVE TO THE RHYTHM

Status
    Work
    Country
    Belgium
    Total Posts
    Total thanks received
    Thanks for this post

As some may think to go any too easy way I just want to point out again that the Requestor has to provide all necessary informations for any supporter.

So as a typical "Bad Request"-Example all postings that are just copied and pasted from Pubmed without any direct link to an electronic source of the requested paper will instanly be deleted.

The one who seeks support has to find and provide the electronic source of the paper he wants to get and if it is generally not provided electronically he must declare that he needs a manually scanned solution!

It is a matter of respect not to blame it on the supporter having to find the source where to get any paper, it is the strict duty to provide a direct link, so that the supporter just needs one click to find the source to provide from his own subscription.

No Link = NO Support!

Bad Example that will get deleted:
    (Stupidly copied from Pubmed without a real link to the source and without any formatting!)

Annu Rev Nutr. 1984;4:521-62.

Nutrition of the domestic cat, a mammalian carnivore.

MacDonald ML, Rogers QR, Morris JG.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6380542

Correct Example that will get supported:
    (All necessary informations with a professional formatting and a real link to the providing source!)

M L MacDonald, Q R Rogers, and J G Morris
    Nutrition of the Domestic Cat, a Mammalian Carnivore
    Annual Review of Nutrition
    Vol. 4: 521-562 (Volume publication date July 1984)
    DOI: 10.1146/annurev.nu.04.070184.002513
    http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs....070184.002513
    Last edited by Vetaqua; 11th July 2012 at 08:06 AM.

SLAVE TO THE RHYTHM

Status
    Work
    Country
    Belgium
    Total Posts
    Total thanks received
    Thanks for this post

And keep in mind:

IF YOU ARE A MOD OR A VIP THEN YOU ARE SPECIALLY REQUESTED TO GIVE A GOOD EXAMPLE FOR ALL OTHER USERS!!!

@ ALL USERS:
    If you make a mistake....no matter, but do not try to argue about it, if it is just too obvious!

SLAVE TO THE RHYTHM

Status
    Work
    Country
    Belgium
    Total Posts
    Total thanks received
    Thanks for this post

Some other points:

A Request and its solution is a clear person to person issue!

Making a request the one who requests adresses the whole community therefore he must follow our template.

The supporter who solves it only replies the requestor, therefore the issue in the first line is just between those 2 concerning its technical solution...

For some formal order I suggest that the supporter always provides the according Delete-Link to his upload and the requestor is in charge to delete it after having downloaded the requested file.

After a while all solved requests will get deleted, but if there are some more requests concerning the same paper then those, who also want to get it, should adress the first requestor, the original publisher of the thread directly first and secondarily the one who served him or the whole community.

The one who got successful support should be moraly in charge to give the same back to the community...if requested.