• Hello Guest,
    We are experiencing difficulties in sending emails. It related to our platform and how it handles the requests. We are working on it. For now, we are using manual methods in sending emails. Please check your SPAM folder as well. Please let me know if you're still experiencing any issue? Use the Contact US at the bottom of the page to reach out.

Best regards,
    VETeLiB Admin

amphibian questions

alisaalthaus

Reaction score
United States Non-Veterinarian
I have 2 questions about amphibians that I can't seem to locate anywhere online. 1. what is the easiest location on an amphibian to draw blood? 2. All amphibians reproduce in/on_____ while reptiles reproduce in/on __________? Thanks

I havni a clue where to draw blood. But the majority of amphibians reproduce in water; frogs & toads (anura) utilise external fertilisation, whereas caecilians (gymnophiona) utilise internal - newts & salamanders (caudata) vary between species. Caecilians can be oviparus or viviparous; the caecilians which lay terrestrial clutchs do so near the water, the larvae wriggle there upon hatching. Reptiles reproduce on land.

I would say, that easiest to draw blood from the medial abdominal vein, which is just under the skin of the belly in most species in the midline. Depending on situation, a cardiac puncture can be ruled in/out, but might not be the most safe procedure, though it is recommended even in reptiles by some.

Back