• Hello Guest,
    We are experiencing difficulties in sending emails. It related to our platform and how it handles the requests. We are working on it. For now, we are using manual methods in sending emails. Please check your SPAM folder as well. Please let me know if you're still experiencing any issue? Use the Contact US at the bottom of the page to reach out.

Best regards,
    VETeLiB Admin

Milk Quality Control

Micotil

Banned
Reaction score
Palestine Large Animal Veterinarian
Milk Quality Control
By Vietnam Belgium Dairy Project

Pages: 40
Publisher: --
Edition: Hanoi, October 2008
Language: English
ISBN: --

Description

Milk provides us with essential elements that are vital for our development and growth. We all start our life with drinking milk and we all know that dairy cows can produce milk for humans consumption. But who knows what is really in it? Milk is a rich source of proteins, minerals and vitamins and researchers have identified more that 100 different components in milk.

Dairy processing companies collect the milk from thousands of cows and mix it all together to produce their delicious products. But is all the milk from all these cows the same? No, it is not. In fact, there are large variations in composition and quality of different milk. Dairy processing companies want to ensure a high quality product with lots of nutritive elements for their consumers. So they need to know what kind of milk the collect. Therefore, they test the ‘quality’ of the milk. But what is milk quality? Is it the milk fat %, milk protein %, bacteria count, somatic cell count or antibiotic residue in the milk?

This booklet aims to introduce the basic facts about milk and it aims to clarify some basic terminology of milk quality. When people discuss about the quality of milk, they should understand the difference between milk composition, bacteria count, somatic cell count, residue etc.

Contents

Preface
Chapter 1: SECRETION OF MILK 1
I. Milk production in the udder 2
II. Lactation 6

Chapter 2: MILK COMPOSITION OF A HEALTHY DAIRY COW 9
I. Introduction 10
II. Description of components 12
III. Testing the milk composition 16
IV. Factor infl uencing the milk composition 17

Chapter 3: SOMATIC CELL COUNT (SCC), BACTERIA COUNT (BCC),
RESIDUES 25